Friday 20 February 2009

A small recess opening off a larger room

As I walked to the train station this morning I looked at the large, possibly between-war, houses that line the south side of the Oxford Road. Each house is different but they share some aspects of their design. Clearly, they all have roofs, doors and windows but the also all had a bay window. Which set me wondering why? Why do so many houses have them and why were they created in the first place? The more you look at them the more they defy explanation.
I was going to leave this blog at that but I looked up the definition of bay and was fascinated to discover that http://www.onleook.com/ define one of the meanings of bay as 'an indentation of a shoreline larger than a cove but smaller than a gulf.' Isn't that just fantastic? I never suspected that cove, bay and gulf could be listed in order of size.

No comments: